Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Going Green, Right?

Hhhhhhhhhrumphf.

I go through double A batteries for my digital camera like a human needs air. I upgraded to lithium batteries and they do indeed last 'longer'. I thought I was without a single double A in the house this morning, so I meandered my way to the pharmacy to buy more lithiums, seeing no point in regular batteries. Then, I see the rechargeable batteries and think, well that would be frugal in the long run, right?? Luckily, I changed my mind and bought the rechargeable port thing and the two rechargeable batteries that came with it as I had originally thought I would buy just a pack of rechargeables. I was feeling quite good about myself, being frugal and saving the environment all in one swipe of my debit card.

I get home and now I'm all ready to do my photo shoot, got the good lamp going, the easel set up, and I'm ready, right? Snort. Those delightful rechargeable batteries??? Hah, they have to be charged first........................as in charged for anywhere from 8 to 12.5 hours. Didn't read the fine print on that one. I rather figured it would make sense to have your batteries charged up when you buy them, right? So, I plugged in my new frugal gone green for the environment batteries and sometime around 5 A.M. ish or earlier if I'm lucky, then my batteries will be charged. I was rather thinking on sleeping at that time and a sleepyhead doth not good pictures take. I plundered around the house and found one pair of lithiums in my beach bag and they don't need a charge. :) Here's the catcher, by the time my lithiums go out, my chargeable batteries will need recharging as they don't apparently according to the fine print keep their charge for long periods of time without use. What is a long period of time?? I don't know. So, when my lithiums go out and I'm needing more batteries, then I better be ready to wait 8 to 12.5 hours.

So, if I plan on using rechargeable batteries on my next vacation or family outing or anytime I want to shoot some photos, then I will need 2 or 3 sets of rechargeables that have been charged ahead of time for 8 to 12.5 hours each because I won't know ahead of time how long a charge runs particularly.

Seriously folks, I did not know what I was getting into. Sometimes going green feels more like going red from frustration and complication. Oh my stars!

I'm off to use my digital camera with my favorite batteries that don't need to hang on the wall in a charging port til the wee hours.

Seriously, batteries are not supposed to give you headaches unless perhaps you eat one and then you have much more serious problems than a headache.


Sighing and blowing off steam.

Later Gators,

Mignon

2 comments:

  1. I was frustrated by the wait too. Did eventually find 15minute chargers. But they aren't cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that's just veering away from frugal, now isn't it. I bet I end up making another purchase for the 15 minute charger, lol. Going green should not cost one more money than the wasteful version....................lol.

    ReplyDelete